Monday, March 3, 2014

Greek-style Stuffed Bell Peppers

We are a big fan of stuffed bell peppers over in our house. I've made Tex-mex stuffed peppers, Italian stuffed peppers, Philly cheese-steak stuffed peppers, and random leftover stuffed peppers. I found this recipe for Greek stuffed peppers early on in my Pinterest years, but it got buried at the bottom of my 100+ recipe dinner board. This weekend I finally pulled it out and dusted it off, and boy was it tasty.
The list of ingredients didn't seem like anything special to me, but I gave it a shot as written anyways. I did sub in ground lamb for ground beef since that's what I had in my freezer and it seemed more Greek that way. I was really amazed though at how well these simple ingredients came together to make an extraordinary dish.



Greek-Style Stuffed Bell Peppers
Serves 4-8 depending on how hungry they are

Ingredients
1 lb ground lamb
1 chopped onion
2 diced cloves of garlic
olive oil
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 TB dried oregano
1 8 oz can tomato sauce, divided
1/2 cup rice (I used arborio, but any short-grain rice should work)
2 potatoes
4-5 bell peppers
feta

What to Do

Cook the diced onions and garlic in a skillet over medium heat with a few TB of olive oil, until onions are tender and translucent. Then add the meat and cook well. Season with fresh parsley, oregano, salt and pepper. Add half of the can of tomato sauce and the rice. Let simmer for a few minutes and then set aside (the rice will not be cooked yet). 

Preheat the oven to 375. While it is heating up, cut the tops off of the bell peppers and remove the seeds from the center. Stand them upright in an oven-safe dish (I used a 5 qt dutch oven). Fill the peppers with the meat and rice mixture and then set the tops of peppers back on. Pour the rest of the can of tomato sauce in the bottom of the pan, along with a can full of water and a little olive oil. 

Slice the potatoes into wedges and put them in the pan too, filling in the cracks around the peppers. Throw a little extra salt on them. 

Bake in the oven for at least an hour, until the rice is done. I cooked mine for 1 hr 15 minutes without a lid and the rice wasn't done yet, so I threw the lid on and let it cook for another 20 minutes. You might be able to get it cooked faster if you leave the lid on the whole time. 

Top the peppers with feta and enjoy! I only needed to eat half of one to feel full, but if you have hungry family members they could probably eat a whole one.

No comments:

Post a Comment